Monday, August 3, 2015

Camouflaging Die Cuts Tutorial


Hello Sweet 'n Sassy friends!   I'm glad you could join us for this week's Design Diva Demo.  I have a die cutting technique to share with you today.  It's fun to try new things with all of the supplies we have in our stash, and I don't know about you, but my collection of dies keeps growing!  LOL!  So…let's get started with Camouflaging Die Cuts!

Begin by gathering your supplies...you need just a few...

  • stamps or inks to create a background (I'll be sponging a background strip for my birthday card) 
  • a die (SNSS Birthday Word Die)
  • the die cutting machine of your choice
  • and card stock.


To create a rainbow of color, mask off the first section of your card stock panel.  I just use Post-Its.  Starting on the Post-It and working in circles, sponge on your color until it is smooth and blended.  Keep masking off each section as you work your way across the panel.  Now you have a bright, cheerful rainbow!


Trim your panel to the size you want for your card.  Using your die, cut the word or shape from your decorated panel.  Be sure to save all the little pieces. Then cut more of the same die cuts from scraps of card stock.  I cut 4, but you can make as many as you want depending on how thick you want your word or image to pop off the card.


Cut a second panel the same size as your decorated piece and cover it with adhesive.  I used my Glue Glider, but you can use a Xyron or any adhesive you like.


Adhere the die cut panel to the adhesive panel…


…and pop one of the scrap die cuts in the negative space.


Use the little pieces you saved to fill in the empty spaces.


Layer all of the die cuts, adhering each layer... 

…ending up with the one you cut from your background panel.  I use dots of Glossy Accents to glue the layers together because it gives me a little wiggle room to get the dies lined up correctly.


Finish your card using your Camouflaged Die Cut!  My little grand niece loves sparkles and purple…this card will be for her birthday.


Another sample of Camouflaging Die Cuts using a shape instead of a word die.

Here are the supplies from the Sweet 'n Sassy Stamps Store used to make these two cards:



Hope you'll give this technique a try!  Thanks so much for stopping by!
Have a marvelous Monday!

3 comments:

diane zechman said...

Great tutorial and cards, Cathy! Love the butterfly!

ionabunny said...

Very cool technique. Thanks for sharing. Hugz

Judy Rozema said...

WOW! Super cool technique and samples, Cathy!!